Thursday, February 07, 2008

Università italiane: che figura!! (Italian universities, what a shame!!)

I am a proud alumnus of the University of Pisa, Italy were I earned my M.Sc. degree, but I am very sad to discover that no Italian university is listed among world's top 100 academic institutions (from Newsweek in 2006).

In contrast, I am also a proud alumnus of the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (EPFL) where I earned my Ph.D. in Computer Science. EPFL is ranked 26th!!

Finally, I've been visiting scholar of University of California, Berkeley, and University of Stanford as a post-doctoral fellow. These two institution are ranked respectively 4th and 2nd!!

What will be the next step?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dear Vic,

I'm also very disappointed in noticing that we (Italy) have very little to offer in this respect. However is quite strange that there is a substantial correlation between the anti-quality of our universities and the quality of our graduated.

It looks like suffering a little bit helps the students in growing faster.

Ciao
Cerboost